I like some things in life hot and easy – like my husband 🙂 and then these easy to make hot chilli poppers! The ever popular chilli + cheese has to be up there as one of the best combinations that goes well with a cold beer or two …
But chilli poppers on the whole are quite messy and tricky things to make as they tend to ooze out of their casings – so I decided to put all the ingredients in a spring roll wrapper and roll it up snuggly into a chilli cheroot of sorts. To make it even easier I used already cut chillies – you know the ones with that sour, tangy taste – and some white cheddar cheese. This is easy, no fuss and you can put this on a plate in no time … hot + easy + yummy …
Watch me make this by clicking here.
- Spring roll wrappers – you can buy these at any Chinese supermarket
- White cheddar cheese – cut into 1.5cm x 1.5cm x 7 cm oblong lengths or chunks
- Pickled jalapeno peppers – the sliced up ones – drained and dried on a paper towel
- Cake flour mixed with a bit of water into a paste
- Oil for frying
- Take one wrapper and add a chunk of cheese to the wrapper, add a few chillies and roll-up (see diagram below). Use the flour paste on the seams of the wrapper when you fold it up. It will keep the popper together and it will also prevent the cheese from escaping or oozing out.
- Fry in oil at 185°C for 4-5 minutes till golden brown.
- Let it cool down, poor yourself a cold beer, a cider or champers if you wish and tuck in.