Watch me make this by clicking here
It is now a bygone age but the late 1800’s was an interesting period in history. Coca-Cola was first put into bottles and thankfully a useful little drug-maker introduced Aspirin to the modern world with all its headaches – and is still proving useful to me today for those odd occasions of excess :-).
… Then of course there was the Waldorf-Astoria salad. It is recorded that Oscar Tshirky or “Oscar of the Waldorf” was the maître d’hôtel of this famous New York City landmark from the opening of the hotel until he retired in 1943. Although he was not a chef, it seems he was largely attributed with suggesting or inspiring food ideas, and tradition says he invented the Waldorf Salad for the hotel opening.
The Waldorf salad lives on in its elegance and simplicity. It is traditionally made with fresh apples, celery on a bed of lettuce and then dressed in mayonnaise – the walnuts, it is believed were only added later. Over the years it now has several guises with variations being served with grapes, turkey and dried fruit.
So when my mom gave me this beautiful box of fresh sweet prunes I decided to add these to my version of this salad classic. I chose to caramalize the walnuts and added some fennel seeds to my mayonnaise. The caramelized walnuts add a crunchy texture to the salad and I also added some Appletizer and vinegar to the mayonnaise to thin it and to add a bit of sparkle to the dressing – perfect for Mother’s day.
- Celery – pick the leaves and use them – chop the rest of the celery finely
- Apple - julienned
- Prunes - pitted and cut in halves or grapes
- For Caramelized Walnuts
- ½ Cup sugar
- 100g Walnuts
- Melt the sugar until it caramelizes - a light honey colour. Put the walnuts on the tray and pour the caramel over the walnuts. Let it cool down and then break into pieces.
- Salad Dressing
- 4T Mayonnaise
- ½t Roasted fennel seeds
- 2T Appletizer
- 2t White wine vinegar
- Pinch of red pepper
- Mix all ingredients together
- Mix all the salad ingredients together in a suitable stylish serving dish.
- Add the caramelized walnuts on top.
- Sprinkle with the dressing and season to taste.