If you want to watch me making this sandwich … click here.
This is just a really delicious winter sandwich that will send your taste buds into somewhat of a happy twirl. This is definitely not for someone on a strict diet but it will definitely impress all your friends and loved ones. I used three of my favourite soft cheeses – Boursin (my ultimate!!), some blue cheese and normal cream cheese. What gives this sandwich somewhat of an edge is the fact that the cheese fillings are at room temperature and the luscious mushrooms are somewhat zingy, warm and juicy. The important element in preparing this sandwich is the preparation of the mushrooms.
Here are a few tips for frying mushrooms:
1. You need to add oil and butter to your non-stick pan – the butter adds that buttery, nutty flavour to the woody flavour of the mushrooms.
2. The pan must be smoking hot – if your pan is not hot enough the mushrooms will become soggy.
3. If you are cooking a lot of mushrooms – it is a good idea to cook them in batches.
4. Season your mushrooms while frying – for me the salt and pepper get etched into the delicious graininess of the mushrooms
5. Lemon and parsley always elevate the taste of the mushroom – try it.
- 6 Slices of bread
- 1 Packet of micro leaves
- 300g Mushrooms
- 1T Olive oil
- 1T Butter
- 1T Fresh thyme –leaves picked
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Black pepper
- A generous squeeze of lemon juice (from ½ lemon or more)
- 5g Chopped parsley
- Cheese filling
- (cheeses must be at room temperature)
- 3T Cream cheese
- 3T Boursin cheese
- 3T Blue cheese
- Prepare the cheese filling first by mixing all ingredients.
- Butter one slice of the bread very lightly. Divide the cheese fillings into three and add to the other side of the bread.
- Then prepare your mushrooms: Cook the mushrooms + thyme in the olive oil and butter in a very hot pan – season with salt and black pepper. Do not let the mushrooms become soggy; they should be a beautiful nutty and brown colour. At the end at the chilli powder, a big squeeze of lemon juice and chopped parsley.
- Add your mushrooms to the cheese filling side of your sandwich, top it with the delicious micro burst leaves and top with the other slice of bread. YUM!
Thank you for popping in and for the lovely comment x
Absolutely exceptional! Beautifully photographed and looks utterly delicious. Yum!
great to hear that ush – they will love it!
Anel–this is super duper gorgeous–well that is settled that is what my son is getting for supper.
Personally I don’t think it needed a lid, that is a beautiful open sandwich!