This pasta is an extravagant treat yet plain + simple. It is one of those really easy recipes but it is so delicious that your family or guests might think you had been slaving away for hours … It is warm and hearty and perfect for friends popping over for dinner and is best served with a sultry smile and a good glass of red wine.
What I used in this recipe is my tried and tested, home styled tomato sauce recipe – it’s just olive oil, basil, garlic and tomatoes. After the tomatoes have popped open they ooze this richly irresistible, fresh cooked puree which forms this thick, lava like sauce of yumminess. I then add thin slivers of chorizo – let the tomato and chorizo pasta sauce simmer for a few minutes. And there you have it … done + dusted. Just do not forget the glass and a bottle of good red wine. Bliss!
- 900g Rosa tomatoes
- 200ml Olive oil – good quality (I know this sounds a lot but the tomatoes burst open to combine with the olive oil, garlic and basil to create a really amazing sauce )
- 2 Handfuls of fresh basil
- 8 Garlic cloves – peeled but kept in whole segments
- 225g Chorizo sausage thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 150 – 200g Fresh parmesan cheese – shaved with potato peeler
- 500g Spaghetti cooked as instructed on pack
- Add the olive oil to a large pan / pot and add the garlic and about one handful of shredded or torn basil leaves. Heat the oil very slowly on low-medium. Remember, we are wanting to the olive oil to infuse with the garlic and basil. Infuse for about 5 minutes – please do not burn the garlic.
- Add all the tomatoes; turn up the heat to medium high and cook for +- 20 minutes without the saucepan lid.
- You will see the tomatoes will start to burst open and infuse with the olive oil.
- Add the chorizo and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and freshly grounded black pepper. Please be sure to taste when you season!
- Just before serving, add the rest of the basil. To finish your dish take a potato peeler and shave some slices of good Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over your dish.