Remember bubble tea and all the frenzy around it? Well, the next big thing is Cheese tea. Yes, you heard right… cheese tea. It is so big in China that people are queuing for hours to get a sip of their favourite cuppa.
Don’t think Cheddar
Don’t think of cheddar or gorgonzola cheese – rather think cheesecake. Makes a difference doesn’t it? So imagine a salty cream cheese topping sitting on that slightly bitter cup of tea. Does this pique your interest?
What is cheese tea?
Cheese tea is green or black tea sipped through a cap of cream cheese blended with cream and condensed milk. You add a bit of salt to balance the sweet flavour.
I am in love. The concept of cheese tea really plays with your mind. It is delicious – the sweet, salty flavour combined with the slightly bitter tea is tantalizing.
Make your own…
I made it twice now and every time my husband never had a chance to taste it. I had it all! I LOVE IT. It is delicious.
When would you serve cheese tea?
I will serve it as a treat or as a sweet indulgence while sitting in a garden with a friend and chatting about how fabulous life is – or simply as a dessert.
Is cheese tea is here to stay
I think the whole world is going to go rather gaga about this little treat.
- tea of choice – they normally use green tea but I used normal black tea
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Matcha powder (optional)
- Brew your tea of choice. You can chill it if you want to but I like it lukewarm.
- Beat the condensed milk, cream cheese, salt and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the cream and beat until soft peaks.
- Pour the tea into the cup. Gently scoop sufficient amount of cheese on top of the tea.
- Lastly, dust some matcha powder over the cheese.