Watch me make this live by clicking here.
Stand back … I can honestly say this is one of the most amazing things I have ever made. It astounds me that I did not discover this earlier in my life … you know all those times you sat hankering after a pizza but were just too lazy to call the pizza delivery guys. Well, now there is just no excuse. Just take a slice of whole wheat bread + roll it out with a rolling pin + brush with garlic and olive oil + fry in griddle pan + add your toppings + and bake! This takes just minutes to prepare and you can decide on what toppings you want…healthy or decadent…the choice is yours.
Just tell me this isn’t good? I know that you cannot beat an original Italian pizza base….you know the ones they make in Italy – but this is just as delicious, believe me. Just don’t tell Mamma!
pizza ... my style - just don't tell mamma
- Pizza base
- 4 Slices of bread
- 2 Cloves garlic – grated
- 3T Olive oil
- 140g Ina Paarman Sundried Tomato
- 1 Small block of mozzarella cheese (this all depends on how much you want to layer on)
- Dried origanum (optional) – a very small pinch per “pizza”
- 8 Slices cooked salami
- Kalamata Olives
- 1 large onion – sliced and slowly fried in a bit of olive oil till golden brown
- To serve
- Fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 220 ºC.
- Take a rolling pin and roll the bread till flat.
- Mix the garlic and olive oil and brush the slices of bread with it.
- Fry each slice on both sides in a griddle pan tuntil the brown etching lines appear on your bread
- Take the sundried tomato and mesh it together with a fork. Smear the tamato on one side of the bread.
- Then add the mozzarella and all the toppings.
- Pop in the oven at 220ºC till the cheese in melted and bubbly.
- Serve with fresh rocket, basil, chopped chillies and always wash down your creation with a glass of good wine.
Open fish cake lasagna + tomato and gherkin relish – I grew up with fish pasta made with tinned pilchards for Saturday lunch so when Babs invited me for lunch this Saturday past – I knew what was on the menu. I asked my mom to wait for me to get to her place – I grabbed my copy of You can with Fish by Tamsin Snyman and rushed over to her house all inspired. I wanted to show her something different …for all too often we get caught up in the routine, making the recipes we know in the same way we have always made them.
We decided to try Tamsin’s fish cakes (love her use of potatoes in the dish) but replaced the tuna with pilchards – and as I am always prone to do… I added lots of fresh herbs, extra lemon and a Dhanya and Chillie sauce I discovered. We served it with a lasagna sheet and a tomato and gherkin relish. The gherkin gives it that beautiful tanginess and just complements the dish in an extraordinary way. It is kind of like “Viskoekies en tamatie-smoor” just dressed up and off to see the opening night of Verdi’s famous opera, La Traviata… and so, so simple.
Try it. I promise you it will make your heart sing!
10 Famous Italian Operas
1. Aida, by GiuseppeVerdi
2. Cavalleria Rusticana, by Pietro Mascagni
3. Il Barbiere de Siviglia, by Gioachino Rossini
4. La Gioconda, by Amilcare Ponchielli
5. La traviata, by Giuseppe Verdi
6. L’elisir d’amore, by Gaetano Donizetti
7. Madama Butterfly, by Giacomo Puccini
8. Nabucco, by Giuseppe Verdi
9. Norma, by Vincenzo Bellini
10. Pagliacci, by Ruggero Leoncavallo
Opera info from yusypovych.com
“viskoekies en tamatiesmoor” - dressed up for a night at the opera
- For fish cakes
- 1 ½ Medium potatoes
- ½ Tin sardines + tomato sauce [210g]
- 1 Egg
- 1T Bread crumbs [my mom uses all the crumbs from the bottom of her rusks packets – very good idea mom!]
- 2T Fresh parsley - chopped
- 1T Fresh coriander – chopped
- ½ t Chillie flakes – optional
- ½ T Dhanya and chillie sauce (i discovered this last week in the shop - it adds a lovely zing to this particular dish)
- 1 Spring onions – chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Sunflower oil for frying
- For lasagna sheets
- 4 Lasagna sheets – one sheet per person
- For tomato and gherkin relish
- ½ Onion – chopped
- 1T Olive oil
- 250g Small rosa tomatoes
- 200g Dill gherkins – chopped finely
- 1T Dhanya and chillie sauce
- 2ml Salt (or to taste)
- For potatoes – peel potatoes and boil till soft. Drain well and mash. Set aside.
- For fish cakes – mix all the ingredients for the fish cakes and the mashed potatoes together. In a non-stick pan add some oil and fry the little patties until golden brown on both sides.
- For relish – fry the onion in pan till the onion is soft and translucent. Add the tomatoes and close the lid for about 8-10 minutes. The tomatoes will burst open, bringing a splash of flavour. Add the gherkins and the salt and mix together. Cook for another minute or two.
- For the lasagna sheets – boil with salt as per the instructions on the packet.
- To assemble - Put some of the Dhanya and chillie sauce at the bottom of the plate, place or arrange the lasagna pasta sheet on top of the sauce then place the fish cakes on top of your lasagna pasta sheet adding the relish to top off this awesome, but so easy little dish.