This one is quick + easy and been a firm family favourite through the years. I remember sitting around the kitchen table, the radio playing in the background (there was no TV in those days)… My dad saying grace and thereafter mom bringing in this big baking tray full of steaming mac + cheese.
We did not have the fancy or posh mac and cheese – there was no bacon, no mushrooms, no cream etc … our mac and cheese came straight out of the Kook and Geniet and straight out of the oven. The basic ingredients are milk, eggs, macaroni and cheese. It’s the baked version that you can cut in blocks. We used to just get these blocks on our plates and in the middle of the table was a bottle of tomato sauce – and that was it for us … heaven.
So today I took the same recipe my mom used and tweaked the ingredients to suit my adult taste buds. When it came to the tomato sauce I had to make a few changes – I fried some plump delicious rosa tomatoes in olive oil, added tomato sauce and fresh basil. Its still my mom’s mac + cheese + tomato sauce – with a little twist. Life seemed much more simpler then. At least I can say that this recipe has remained simple and easy … give it a go.
- 1L Milk
- 5 Eggs
- 3t Mustard powder
- 1t Salt
- ½t Black pepper
- 3 Cups of grated cheese
- 4 Cups of cooked macaroni
- Tomato sauce
- 250g Rosa tomatoes - cut in half
- 1T Olive oil
- 80 ml Water
- 1t Sugar
- 250ml Tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves – shredded
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Mix the milk, eggs, mustard powder, salt and pepper all together. Then add the cheese and cooked macaroni.
- Butter a baking dish well and add the mixture and bake for 1 hour.
- For tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil and fry tomatoes till the pan is quite dry. Add the water and cook again till quite dry.Then add the sugar + tomato sauce – heat through. Finally add the fresh basil + season to taste + serve with your mac + cheese.