If you want to watch me make this – click here.
The other day a delivery of the most beautiful Abate Fetel pears from Tru-Cape arrived at my desk and it inspired me to make this delicious and easy pear crumble. That day I handed these delicious pears to some of my colleagues … well they all shouted for more and said they were just so utterly natural, fresh and delicious. Pears are such heavenly treats and so fabulous to bake with – so I baked some and also did a little research on the humble Abate Fetel pear* …
Abate Fete: ah-BAH-tay fuh-TEL
These pears were fist cultivated by Italian monks a few hundred years ago.
Shape + Look
Unlike normal pear-shaped pears, this variety of pear is slim and long and often many people have described it as almost banana-shaped. This fruit has an attractive yellowish brown russet over its green exterior.
When to eat
This variety of pear is eaten when it is just barely soft; you don’t have to wait for the fleeting, elusive moment between green woodiness and pulpy mush.
A rich sweet taste with a very unusual note: could it be aromatic honey?
Source: thekitchn.com + specialtyfruitclubs.com
* Abate Fete pears are now available in Checkers Stores nationwide.
- For the filling
- 400g Pears (cored and sliced thinly) - +- 3 Pears
- 50g Brown sugar
- 20g Butter cut in blocks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
- For the crumble
- 40g Oats
- 40g Flour
- 25g Castor sugar
- 40g Butter – cut into small blocks
- ¼ t Cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- To serve
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Filling – Place all the ingredients into a pan, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes and then transfer cooked ingredients into a small ovenproof dish.
- Crumble - Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Cut the butter into small cubes and add this to the dry ingredient mixture. Mix with your fingertips until it resembles an even crumbed texture.
- Cover the pears with the crumble mixture. Bake for approximately 40 minutes until the crumble turns golden and serve hot with some creamy vanilla ice cream.