I felt like a fruit salad the other day but because it was freezing cold and wintery outside I did not feel like cold fruit. I decided then and there to make a baked fruit salad. For me, a fruit salad is not specific fruit – it’s just fruit that you have in your bowl. On that day I had guavas, bananas, apples and pears. I just cored them and baked these with star anise, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter.
It formed this delicious yummy tropical caramel-like sauce at the bottom and was devilish delicious with a dollop of ice cream. Sometimes in life, you have to do things differently. Try it, it sometimes holds some delightful surprises.
- 1 Apple, cored and cut into quarters
- 1 Pear, cored and cut into quarters
- 1 Banana, peeled and cut into 2 lengths
- 3 Guavas, cut into half
- 3 Tbsp (15ml) Soft brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (15ml) Butter
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 Large cinnamon stick
- Ice cream or cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C
- Add all the ingredients in an oven pan and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and serve hot with a serving of ice cream or whipped cream.